Friday, July 12, 2013

Word Wall and Organizing Student Supplies

Alright we are in pretty good shape!  Got a bit done on organizing the books in the classroom library.  I have a plan at the very least and that is a good start.  Printing labels to mark all of the books accordingly tonight!

Today I worked on getting the students book boxes and individual math manipulatives organized in a way that they are easily accessible.  I decided on having a small shelf at the end of each table group to house these supplies.  I also included a bin for extra pencils, glue and scissors, etc.  as well as a clip board on each shelf with phonics, sight word and math resources (kind of like mini anchor charts).  The students will keep their take-home folders and their own pencil boxes in their desks.  I also was gifted some denim chair pockets so the students can keep their individual whiteboards, math notebooks and science notebooks in their for safe-keeping.  LOTS of supplies to keep track of so hopefully these organizational systems will help the kids and I to be successful with everything!

The other thing I have finished is my word wall.  I used to have my word wall up on an actual wall, but the last few years I have given up a bit of my whiteboard so I can have my word wall there instead.  I LOVE IT!  It is totally worth losing a little whiteboard space.  It makes the word wall much more fluid and easy to color code.  I can put content specific words in one color and sight words in another.  I can also use varying colors to discriminate between consonants and vowels as well as use a specific color to identify word endings for students.  So easy and so helpful!  I will have to post what this looks like a bit more after the year starts and we are adding words to the wall!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment